Christmas Refugee Charity Drive—December 8, 2017
Charity drive results and use of Donations
Thanks for everyone who came to help with this charity drive. Overall, we received ~$10k-$12k worth of goods. We had donations from Kaysville to Woodland Hills and everywhere in between, and had 150+ people volunteer with us to sew teddy bears, sort items, and assemble kits. Here is a list of everything we received:
- 100+ Teddy Bears Sewed
- 7,500+ Diapers
- 21,000+ Diaper Wipes
- 900+ Toilet Paper Rolls
- 200+ Paper Towels Rolls
- 300+ Hygiene Kits (which would be 1500 bars of soap, 300 toothbrushes, 300 Toothpaste tubes, and 300 combs) / Medical kits (we'll get a final count next week on this)
- Several hundred additional toothbrushes.
- 5+ large boxes worth of new and used books
- 200+ coats, winter clothes, and other misc. clothes
- $950+ in gift cards
- A used car donated to a local refugee family
All of the teddy bears, hygiene and medical kits, and used clothing will be sent to refugee camps abroad by Lifting Hands International and Dolls of Hope. All of the diapers, wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, new clothing, and gift cards have been given to Catholic Community Services of Utah (CCS) and International Rescue Committee(IRC) to be distributed to local refugees.
Support local and international refugees by donating or serving at this event
Friday, Dec 8, 2017 | 6 PM - 9 PM | Bluffdale, UT, Independence LDS Church (15399 S. Noell Nelson Drive, Bluffdale UT, 84065)
For Local Refugees:
- Diapers and Wipes
- Paper Towels & Toilet Paper
- Shoes and Coats (new and gently used)
- Books (new and gently used)
- Gift Cards
For International Refugees:
- Hygiene Kit Supplies: soap bars, combs, toothbrushes, toothpaste (all new)
- Winter Kit: beanies, gloves, scarves (all new)
- Medical Kits: nail clippers, band-aid boxes, ace wraps, gauze rolls, antibiotic cream, alcohol wipes (all new)
Service Opportunities at the Event
- Assemble Hygiene, Medical & Winter Kits
- Create dolls & teddy bears for Dolls of Hope
- Meet local refugee volunteer organizations (International Rescue Committee, Catholic Community Services, Lifting Hands International, Dolls of Hope International, Project Hope for Kids, Carry the Future) and local refugees
Kids are welcome, and we will have pages for them to color to send to refugee kids in camps.
Refreshments will be catered from the Spice Kitchen Incubator (Baklava has been requested along with others...)
*Kits will be sent to refugee camps abroad (by Lifting Hands International) and other supplies will distributed to local refugees (through organizations such as International Rescue Committee and Catholic Community Services).
Refugee Drive Location Map
LDS Church Building
15399 S. Noell Nelson Drive
Bluffdale UT, 84065
A special thanks to the Independence Cub Scout packs for their help in organizing and running this event.
Alternative Drop Off Locations Closer to You
If you can not attend night of but would still like to donate we have set up drop box locations around the valley.
For additional details, to get involved, or if you are interested in gathering materials at a different location in Utah, please submit your information below or contact Jami or Jeff Hanson.